Question Question about HyperGrid Groups and Inventory.

• Marlon Wulluf
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Question about HyperGrid Groups and Inventory. was created by Marlon Wulluf

Posted 16 Feb 2022 05:46 #1802
OK, I found something really weird, I run my own grid, and have my farm on it, so when I use worlds.quintonia.net:8002 in the viewer map and TP there, I can't wear anything that's in my ordinary inventory, because items in my normal inventory don't exist while TP'd on an HG region, I can only wear or rez things from 'My suitcase->Objects" which means I have to 'copy' the HUD to that location on my own region first, then HG jump to Mintor, then I can wear the HUD, also, HG Groups only show when using Firestorm for OpenSim, and on the HG region where the group was joined, IE, when on my own region, I don't see any group that's even related to Quintonia, but when I HG jump to Mintor, it shows in my groups, and it's activated, as I said this only works when using Firestorm, it doesn't work with Singularity.

Has anyone had or is having the same problems?
by Marlon Wulluf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Admin
  • Thank you received: 258

Replied by Admin on topic Question about HyperGrid Groups and Inventory.

Posted 16 Feb 2022 09:10 #1803
The 'Suitcase' feature was added some time back (by Diva Canto) as a security/performance feature. The idea is that when you travel to another grid your inventory should only expose the items that are in the suitcase folders. This way it should prevent a malicious grid from being able to access your full inventory with the potential to 'steal' it all. Also, since only a limited amount of inventory is available it should help with data transfer/performance. That said I know sometimes people that travel a lot have been known to keep all their inventory in the Suitcase folders!  Strangely OS Grid doesn't implement the suitcase system for some reason.
Generally, the advice is never to wear any scripted items when crossing from one grid to another on the hypergrid, even if the items are in your inventory. Safer to wait until you arrive, then wear/attach.

As for groups, there are various ways these are implemented (version 1 and version 2 groups and jOpenSim are at least three I'm aware of) and I don't think OpenSim has any system to allow a commonality between systems and grids. For instance, there is nothing to stop users on other grids from creating their own Quintonia group and then if someone was a member of both groups it could get confusing!   That's why you only see groups for the grid you are on.   I seem to recall seeing a setting to do with groups and visibility across grids but that might have been on yet another implementation of the group system!

Not sure why things are different on Singularity. I will see if I can have a look (I run Linux machines and have had some issues getting Singularity to work)
by Admin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

donate

hg.vivosim.net:8002:Mintor

hg.vivosim.net:8002:Lugo

hg.vivosim.net:8002:Sandy Island

hg.vivosim.net:8002:Julian Beach

opensim logo